Burgdorf – Ypsomed (SWX: YPSN) generated a growth in turnover of 11.6% in the first half of 2021/22 compared to the previous year and achieved a consolidated total turnover of CHF 222.6 million. On its continued growth trend, the company achieved an operating result (EBIT) of CHF 10.5 million. This corresponds to an increase of 23.1%. Net profit increased to CHF 7.1 million (previous year: CHF 6.7 million).
Ypsomed achieved sales growth of 11.6% in the first half-year of 2021/22, confirming the positive trend for products for the easy and safe self-treatment of chronic diseases.
Other major highlights during this half-year included:
- the launch of mylife Assist: the app-based integration of the Dexcom G6 continuous glucose monitoring system into the YpsoPump system;
- the presentation of the platform study YpsoMate On: the world’s first autoinjector with integrated connectivity;
- psoriasis becomes a new field of application for the YpsoMate autoinjector;
- founding member of the “Alliance to Zero” with the aim of actively shaping the transition of the pharmaceutical supply chain to towards net zero emissions.
The underlying fundamentals and trends for our recurring business model remain positive. The growth drivers self-medication and homecare, the new generations of liquid drug formulations, the expansion of global access to medicines due to biosimilars, as well as the opportunities for improved therapy adherence through digitisation all confirm that we are on the right track,
says CEO Simon Michel, who is pleased with the development in the first half-year of 2021/22.
In the last half-year, Ypsomed continued to successfully commercialise its platform strategy in the pen business and achieved an important milestone in the further development of the YpsoPump insulin pump with the launch of mylife Assist. In addition, the company continues to invest in innovation and the expansion of manufacturing capacities. Ypsomed expects a growth of around 20% in the business with its own pen systems for the 2021/22 financial year. Currently, the company expects to achieve at least double-digit growth in turnover, based on a well-diversified business model at the group level. Ypsomed raises the outlook for the operating result (EBIT) to towards CHF 30 million.
Ypsomed Delivery Systems grows by 13.2% in the pen business
During the first half-year 2021/22, the Ypsomed Delivery Systems segment increased turnover by 9.2% or CHF 10 million respectively to reach CHF 118.3 million with a
- growth of 13.2% in the pen business;
- continued encouraging project acquisition;
- and a decrease of 6.5% in contract manufacturing, reaching the level of two years ago.
Increased project revenues for Diabetes Care
With a turnover of CHF 95.2 million, Ypsomed Diabetes Care achieved a growth in turnover of 13.2% in the first half-year 2021/22:
- YpsoPump increase in commercial sales by 8.9%;
- higher income from development services for infusion systems for Eli Lilly and for the YpsoPod development project for TecMed AG;
- sales of pen needles down by 10.9%;
- sales of blood glucose monitoring systems increased by 1.0%, contrary to the downward market trend.
The operating result of the Ypsomed Group for the first half-year of 2021/22 was CHF 10.5 million (previous year: CHF 8.5 million).
- The increase in turnover and higher utilisation of the manufacturing capacity in Switzerland as well as higher project income for the pen business made an encouraging contribution to earnings.
- Commissioning at the Schwerin production site in Germany has been successful and the first commercial deliveries of autoinjectors have been made. The plant is not yet operating at full capacity, which is why the site burdens the result with CHF 5 million.
- The mylife YpsoPump burdens the result with around CHF 24 million, which is similar to the previous year.
- The positive development of Ypsotec, which is clearly returning to profitability again, supports the result.
In the first half-year of 2021/22, Ypsomed once again assumed its social responsibility by verifiably procuring electricity for Ypsomed AG and all its subsidiaries from 100% renewable energy sources by the end of 2021. The company continues to drive the digitisation of its portfolio and extend this into comprehensive therapy management solutions for higher adherence and improved therapeutic outcome. The pharmaceutical development towards liquid formulations of active ingredients allows Ypsomed to serve new therapeutic areas, such as psoriasis. And with cooperations such as the newly founded “Alliance to Zero”, Ypsomed wishes to actively shape the pharmaceutical sector across the entire value chain towards net zero emissions.